Locate the gerund, since it is used as a noun, determine its
Locate the gerund, since it is used as a noun, determine its use.
same choices for the first 4 questions. And I know the gerunds on all of them I just need their noun use 🙂
1) I enjoy walking in the country (walking)
a) predicate noun
b) direct object
c) object of preposition
2) Reckless driving is dangerous.(driving)
3) A popular pastime is backpacking.(backpacking)
4) John has finally lost interest in collecting stamps.(collecting)
Ok now locate and identify the -ing use.
5) having no one to play with, the child turned to books for companionship.
So is -having- a participle, verb phrase, or a gerund?
6) napping is an effortless activity. (Napping)
7) a thinking person will avoid foolish strife. (thinking)
8) Mary occupied herself by painting. (Painting)
9) frank was swimming in the private pool. (Swimming)