This assignment will result in two bulleted lists and a memo for patients. All can be placed into one Word Document for submission. In this assignment, imagine yourself in the role of a recently hired HIM Manager for LiveWell Hospital. You are the direct supervisor over Release of Information, Chart Completion and Clinical Documentation Improvement. You previously worked as an HIM coordinator and were on the front line when they adopted and deployed a Health Information Exchange (HIE), and this gave you a hiring advantage at LiveWell.
SCENE ONE: Ms. Clark, the HIM Director asks to see you in her office to review a possible project for you. LiveWell wants to adopt and roll-out an HIE with several facilities in the northern part of your state. She prefers that the Information Systems department oversee and manage the HIE project and indicates that she doesn’t believe that HIM professionals have the competency needed for an HIE roll-out. Your previous experience with HIE was very rewarding and successful – you interrupt Ms. Clark in your excitement and plead with her to let you oversee HIE at LiveWell. You explain that your previous experience convinced you that HIE belongs in the HIM department. Ms. Clark asks you to research and report back on the following two issues regarding HIE:
- Create a bulleted list that outlines to effectively manage an HIE roll-out.
- Prepare a 2nd bulleted list and – she wants to better understand the benefits for the patient, the healthcare facility and the northern region of your state.
You leave Ms. Clark’s office and locate the following AHIMA article, HIE Management and Operational Considerations (Updated) and presented by Ms. Clark above.
SCENE TWO: The following month, Ms. Clark notifies you that based on your input and experience, the HIM department will oversee the roll-out of an HIE. She congratulates you and then indicates that she is concerned on how patients will accept an HIE – she feels that an HIE will scare patients and make them feel that their PHI (protected health information) is at risk. She asks you to:
- Create a one page memo to use with patients and their families which will explain
- How we participate in a regional medical records-sharing HIE.
- Why we participate in a regional medical records-sharing HIE
- Indicate how a patient’s information may be used and disclosed for the HIE.
- Include specific benefits to the patient of our clinic sharing their private health information with other health care providers.
- Include information on the privacy and security protections that are pertinent.
- The memo must be easy to read, well organized and proofed. This is a professional communication tool that will be seen by all of LiveWell’s patients.
Be sure to responsibly use citations for research sources and make sure your submission is free of spelling and grammar errors. Your completed submission will include:
- two bulleted lists (#1 and #2 above)
- a memo for patients (#3 above