Clinical field experience a: strengthening curricular programs
Arrange your field experience for this course in a PK-12 school setting in which you will observe and collaborate with a certified school principal. Prior to your field experience, review the requirements of all clinical field experiences for this course. Create a document to share with your principal mentor detailing the requirements for all field experiences for this course, and what is being requested of your mentor. This document should include the scheduling required to complete all assignments.
One of the most foundational skills an administrator should have is the ability to articulate, advocate, and cultivate core values in connection with the Continuous Improvement Plan (CIP) aligned to a school’s vision and mission. When a coherent system of supports is in place, the school is able to maximize student-centered learning.
Allocate at least 3 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Interview two instructional leaders, plus your principal mentor, about their respective roles as they relate to district curriculum design and development policy regarding state regulations. Within the interviews, inquire as to how policy affects the role of an instructional leader.
Possible questions to ask include, but are not limited to:
- How do you use the school’s vision and mission to make instructional decisions for your school?
- Describe your major functions and activities relating to curriculum design and development.
- What effect does the school’s CIP have on curricular decisions?
- Who is involved in making and implementing changes to the curriculum and curricular systems? How are they involved and what collaboration takes place?
- How are curricular decisions made regarding intervention strategies that promote academic success of all students?
- What is the process used in your district/school for textbook selection? How often and how is this process evaluated for effectiveness?
- If you could change how curricular decisions are made and implemented, what would it be? Explain.
Use any remaining field experience hours to observe and/or assist the principal mentor.
Complete a 250-500 word reflection on your experiences. Incorporate PSEL Standard 4 and any other standards you feel apply into your reflection, and describe how you will apply what you have learned to your future professional practice.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and PSEL standards should be referenced using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.