1. In the song “Tonight” from the musical West Side Story, the composer distributed two basic melodies
among different characters to create a kind of _______, in which nothing disappears but new layers are
A. dissonant form
B. layered presence
C. additive form
D. consonant counterpoint
2. The type of music that blended the musical styles of jump blues and honky-tonk was
A. rock ‘n’ roll.
B. hip hop.
3. _______ works are often playful in spirit, a reaction against the unrelenting seriousness of much
4. A modern-day retelling of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is carried out in the musical
A. My Fair Lady.
B. The Mikado.
C. H.M.S. Pinafore.
D. West Side Story.
5. Which of the following musicals was the first to tackle the issue of racism?
A. Show Boat
B. My Fair Lady
D. South Pacific
6. A musical style that combines traditional and modern elements is called
7. Minimalist techniques have been applied in many different kinds of music, including
C. rock ‘n’ roll.
8. Aaron Copland varies the _______ throughout his movement “Hoe-Down” to create variety.
9. Public Enemy’s abrasive rap recording “Fight the Power” has a basic pulse of _______ beats per minute.
10. The _______ were interested in the hypnotic quality of the repeated melodic fragments and interlocked
patterns created by the gamelan.
11. Which of the following composers wrote the music for West Side Story?
A. Cole Porter
B. George M. Cohan
C. Jerome Kern
D. Leonard Bernstein
12. A chromatic scale consists entirely of
A. whole steps.
B. quarter steps.
C. half steps.
D. tonal centers.
13. Notes that begin a phrase before a downbeat are known as pick-up notes, or a/an
B. shuffle groove.
C. call and response.
D. duck walk.
14. Which composer engaged in scholarly studies that focused on the social dimension of music and the
ways it’s used within and between cultures?
A. John Williams
B. Béla Bartók
C. Leonard Bernstein
D. John Cage
15. Debussy’s Voiles was inspired by a Javanese ensemble known as a
16. On whose show did Elvis Presley make his famous debut?
A. Dick Clark
B. Ed Sullivan
C. Milton Berle
D. Steve Allen
17. Which composer’s work has been likened to Brahms and Dvořák?
A. John Cage
B. Austin Wintory
C. John Williams
D. Philip Glass
18. Which of the following works can be likened to program music?
A. Sonata II
B. Concerto for Orchestra
D. Concertino for Harp and Orchestra
19. What does the word kebyar mean?
20. Which of the following is used in Sonata II’s prepared piano?
A. Small pieces of rubber
B. Copper wire
C. Wooden blocks